Although Brunei Darussalam is not yet a member of United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO), Brunei Darussalam has however been involved in a number of UNESCO Programmes. Occasionally, the Ministry of Education and the University of Brunei Darussalam send officials to attend conferences organised by UNESCO, such as the regional conferences on higher education: “National Strategies and Regional Co-operation for the 21st Century " held in Tokyo (July 1997) and the Fifth International Conference On Adult Education, held in Hamburg, Germany (August 1997).
The Ministry of Education has always responded to requests from UNESCO especially in the provision of data for the UNESCO Statistical Yearbook. The Ministry has also regularly responded to UNESCO's questionnaires such UNESCO's Questionnaires on Statistics of Book Production in 1996; Questionnaires on Statistics of Education at the Third Level 1995-1996, and Questionnaires of Scientific Research and Experimental Development.
Brunei Darussalam involvement in other UNESCO Education Programme are as follows :
- Participated in a number of educational activities directly organised by UNESCO, i.e the 2nd International Congress on Technical and Vocational Education, April 1999, and the subsequent follow up meeting in Adelaide, Australia; the APPEAL Symposium of Lifelong Learning held in Chiangmai in late 2001.
- Participated with UNESCO indirectly under the SEAMEO (Southeast Asian Ministers of Education Organisation) programme, i.e through SEAMEO Meetings with Ministers, Senior Officials; and through substantive cooperation via SEAMEO Centres, notably the SEAMEO Regional Centre for Science and Mathematics, the SEAMEO Regional Centre for Vocational and Technical Education.
- Represented the Institute of Technology Brunei (ITB) participated as one of the 15 Voting Members (out of a total membership of 212) in the Association for Engineering Education in Southeast and East Asia and the Pacific (ASAESEAP), a network supported by UNESCO.
- Preparation of overseas official visits of Minister, Deputy Minister and senior officials (protocol);
- Coordinate visits of foreign Ministers of Education and senior education officials (protocol).